Days after the release of Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, I had no plans to upgrade my ubuntu 10.04 LTS but after doing some experiments I ended up upgrading to 12.04 and glad that I had a backup of my projects and database. I made a fresh install of precise pangolin yesterday and so far the things I say are:
BTW: I am using acer aspire 4736 running 4GB of memory, 320GB HDD & Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
- Super fast boot
- Unity is good for shortcuts
- Wider view on the applications and wider space in viewing codes using netbean’s vertical split window
- Minimalistic approach which I love the most
- Free…. lol
- I installed ubuntu 12.04 for approximately 2-3 hours and had a lot of errors maybe 2 hours was wasted because of a lousy internet connection.
- Before you can see how pangolin looks I need to add i915.nomodeset=0 to the grub config
- The resolution needs to be configured (xorg) because the screen is kind of stretched and its not properly displaying the sites I consistently visit. By default the resolution is 1024×768 which is a bit smaller size.
- I’m still not comfortable with unity especially on navigating to folders. I hope there will be a patch to choose between unity and gnome shell.
Til now I am still banging my head to fix this problem. Refer to my post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594308&page=7) . This has been my big problem since the 10.10 release…-> [solved] – check the mobile 4 series graphics controller fix
- Empathy 3.4.1 closes when you add a buddy from the contact list or add a new contact group
- Unity shows files on other desktops (I prefer not seeing them on current window)
- Sometimes Netbeans fail after installation but here is a fix -> http://alexukf.wordpress.com/2012/04/29/netbeans-in-precise-pangolin/
I hope to find some fixes in succeeding days… Maybe you know some solution to this, why don’t you lead me to it…
I hope to see some more stuff after exploring it more especially when it comes to performance…